Annie Edith McEvoy and her Interesting Background,

THE FEMALE FAMILY HERITAGE

In late 2011 I started to look at the background of my paternal grandmother, Annie Edith Puckridge. It has been a revelation to find that this gentle, home-loving person was an offspring of adventurous and ambitious families with colourful backgrounds about which we knew nothing. Sadly, looking at the female bloodlines is still mainly about the males, because they were out doing interesting or exciting things, while the women were at home, bearing children and surviving as best they could, their way of life and opinions usually unrecorded. This page is still under construction.

CLICK LINK OR
SCROLL DOWN
Early Puckridges Australian Puckridges Puckridge Women Woodwards Morford/Tapley Tapley Brothers John Tapley Sharps

THE PUCKRIDGES

With the assistance of Mona Puckridge I obtained copies of the thoroughly researched Puckridge family history books written by her sister-in-law, Mollie Puckridge: Pursuit Through the Years-a Puckridge Family History and the update The Pursuit Ended-A Puckridge Family History which trace the Puckridges back to the 1730s with confidence. The following summary is based on Mollie's fine books. I have been able to add a few details to the family story via online resources.

WILLIAM PUCKRIDGE AND MARY HALL

William Puckridge who was a Freeman of the Joiners Guild, married Mary Hall on 1-1-1735 at St Benet Church, Paul's Wharf, London (at left). Mary was the niece of George Graham who is buried in Westminster Abbey. Altogether there were 12 children, 7 boys and 5 girls, all born at 24 Hosier Lane and christened in the Church of St Sepulchre, London (right). Directories have Thomas Puckridge working at 72 Snowhill from 1790 to 1815 and at 2 Goldsmith Square in 1805. Five children died in infancy. After 1756 Mary and William lived at Islington where Mary died in 1770 aged 56. William died 16 years later in 1786 aged 70 while living with his son, Charles, at 11 East Harding St, Gough Square in the Parish of St Brides. Both Mary and William were buried in the Church of St Sepulchre.

THOMAS PUCKRIDGE AND MARTHA MANSFIELD

The fifth child of William and Mary Puckridge, Thomas Puckridge born 29-10-1741, died 24-4-1789, married Martha Mansfield, and they had 10 children, 4 sons and 6 daughters. Thomas had premises at 73 Snow Hill, London in 1789 but moved by 1805 to 2 Goldsmith Street. Thomas and Martha's second child, John Puckridge, was born 6 December, 1765. Thomas died on 24 April 1789 aged 47 but Martha lived to the age of 89. Both are buried at St Sepulchre, London.

JOHN PUCKRIDGE, ELIZABETH WAKELING AND ELIZABETH PATIENCE GILLETT

John Puckridge, 5th child of Thomas and Martha, also became a clock and watch maker. He was made "free" of the Clockmakers Company in 1788 and was a common councillor of the city of London. His premises were also listed as 73 Snow Hill, London. John Puckridge and his wife, Elizabeth Wakeling, whom he married at St George in the East on 31-8-1800, after they had had five children, had 11 children in all, 7 reaching adulthood. The children were mainly baptised at St Giles, Cripplegate (below right). They lived at Snowhill and then at Islington. Elizabeth died aged 42 years in 1812 but John ensured that all 7 children were educated and established in productive occupations. He later had a second family of three sons with Elizabeth Patience Gillett: John St George Puckridge born on April 23rd, 1819, "within the sound of Bow Bells," Septimus and Percival. John Puckridge is listed as freehold owner of 73 Snowhill in an 1838 electoral register. John St George was the only child christened at Christchurch, Greyfriars, on 7-6-1837, though born in 1819-the reason for the delay is unknown but John Puckridge senior seems to have been unconventional with respect to the usual religious ceremonies. Elizabeth Gillett died soon after the birth of Percival in 1827 and fearful for the future of his youngest sons, John made a will dividing all he possessed between the three youngest children. On his death in 1840, this will was contested by an older son, but eventually John St George, the eldest of the second family of children, was granted administration of the will. John was buried in St Sepulchre on 11-1-1840. In the 1841 census, John Puckridge aged 20, Septimus 15 and Phillip (Percival?) Puckridge 14 are listed as occupants at Snow Hill.

Top

JOHN ST GEORGE PUCKRIDGE AND SARAH WOODWARD

John St George Puckridge was a clockmaker according to his marriage certificate, but Mollie believes this description may be because he was winding up his father's clockmaking business at the time, as on the birth certificates of his children, he is described as a clerk, agent and traveller. He probably worked for a brewery belonging to the Woodwards, the family (more later) of his wife, Sarah Woodward whom he married on 9-8-1840 at St John's, Islington.

The growing Puckridge family lived in Putland St, Mile End and in Plaistow, West Ham, County of Essex and seem to have been reasonably prosperous, yet John and Sarah decided to emigrate to South Australia. It may have been because a daughter died, because John thought that a brewery was not a suitable place to bring up children or because reports from South Australia were glowing. Sarah's Uncle, Francis Bunn, was listed as the licensee of the Golden Fleece Inn, Currie St, in the SA Almanac of 1851 and of the Royal Exchange Hotel, Hindley St about the same time. Another relative was a grazier in the South East and a cousin had Tara Farm at Blakiston.

Having made the decision to emigrate, Sarah and John and their children, Catherine, Alfred, Anthony, Harry, Florence and Russell left Falmouth on the Lady Nugent on October 13th, 1853, arriving at Port Adelaide on January 21st, 1854. They were among the 34 cabin passengers on the ship, therefore not assisted passengers.

John (at left) started sharefarming at Blakiston but in June, 1854, their fourth child and third son, Harry, died aged 5 years. Another son, Horace, was born to them in 1855. The share farming seems not to have been a success as from 1856 to 1861 John St George was licensee of the Buckingham Arms Hotel where two more sons, Walter Graham and Septimus Allan were added to the family. John St George was a tall and imposing man and a stickler for correctness, apparently. While managing the Hotel he was applying for property on the West Coast. By 1862 the Puckridge family were at Lake Wangary. Their homestead overlooked Lake Wangary and was large and comfortable with a big garden, vegetable garden and orchard and John St George seems to have been a very capable and innovative farmer, though "peppery at times." Sarah was rather delicate but organised a lovely flower garden, helped educate the children and insisted on correct speech and deportment. Sarah and John had the sadness of seeing 5 of their 10 children, 7 sons and 3 daughters, die young. Eventually they retired to Seaview Cottage, Port Lincoln, Sarah dying 13-5-1895 and John in 1898. They were buried in the old pioneer cemetery at Happy Valley, Port Lincoln but apparently their graves were unmarked and the burial plans lost, which seems unbelievable given the prosperity they achieved in life. That means that 3 of our great, great grandparents have no gravestones despite their brave emigration and pioneering efforts in SA. Sarah and John are, however, remembered on a Wall of Unmarked Pioneer Graves at the Port Lincoln Pioneer Cemetery, pictures kindly sent by Karissa Ford of the Port Lincoln Council.

On the death of John St George, the property was divided between the 3 surviving sons, Septimus, Horace and Russell.

HORACE PUCKRIDGE AND HANNAH ELLEN TAPLEY

Horace Puckridge, (left) the fifth son and seventh child of Sarah and John St George Puckridge, born 10-4-1855 at Mount Barker died 6-8-1940 at Coulta, SA, was the first Australian born child of the family. He grew to be tall and peppery too, and was known as The Major. He was a good mechanic and mason and a bit of a ladies' man. He began farming with his father. In 1884 he married Hannah Ellen Tapley (more about the Tapleys later) of Wartaka Station at Woodward Park. In 1888 Horace and Hannah and 3 children moved to Wartaka Station for about a year but life was hard and they moved back to Lake Wangary, living at Ulina at Warrow from 1908. Horace was a careful and conscientious farmer, a keen cricketer and fisherman and could be kind to those in need. Hannah and Horace had 8 children, Ella, Harry, Reginald, Annie, Gladys, Ivy, Ruth and Thelma, 2 sons and 6 daughters. Upon retirement, when the property passed to the 2 sons, Hannah and Horace moved to Coulta township. Horace died 6-8-1940, the last surviving member of John St George and Sarah Puckridge's family, and Hannah died in Feb, 1941. They are both buried in the new Coulta Cemetery (picture right).

Top

ANNIE EDITH PUCKRIDGE AND FREDERICK McEVOY

Born at Lake Wangary, to Horace and Hannah Puckridge in 1890, the fourth of eight children, Annie Edith Puckridge (known as Monnie) married Frederick McEvoy in 1908, when she was only 18, at home, with her parents' reluctant approval. They were unhappy that their future son in law was not only ten years older but a Roman Catholic. Fred had been working in Warrow, which is 4.7 Km north of Coulta on the Flinders Highway, north west of Pt Lincoln, and had got to know the two Puckridge sons.

The young couple took up residence at Warrow in a cottage opposite the hotel. Two children were born during this time, in 1909 and 1911.

Fred and Monnie moved to a share farming position in Sceales Bay near to his parents, Eliza and Joseph, who had trekked to Sceales Bay from Hammond in 1903 following a number of disastrous droughts. Two more daughters were born at Sceales Bay in 1913 and 1915. The Port Lincoln to Thevenard railway was being built and land alongside it was becoming available. Fred went off to select property and chose Mt Jane at Cungena. The whole family moved there in 1916. A big government shed with tanks at either end had been built for them and their house was constructed of split pine and clay under this shed. It was here that the family lived and continued to grow to 10 children, 6 daughters and 4 sons.

Monnie's life must have been a very hard one. She was frequently pregnant, isolated, struggling to make ends meet during droughts and recession with basic living conditions and minimal water, but she seems to have been a gracious, calm and happy person, very religious in her adopted Roman Catholic faith and renowned for her kindness and hospitality. The house was always made to look as clean and attractive as possible. Monnie wrote frequently to her parents but there does not seem to have been much contact with the Puckridge grandparents and Dad certainly never spoke of them.

In later years Monnie suffered from diabetes and died aged 63 on March 13, 1954.

From The West Coast Sentinel, page 4, March 17, 1954
Death of Cungena Woman
The death occurred last Saturday of Mrs. Mona McEvoy, 63, of Cungena. Mrs. McEvoy had been suffering ill-health for the past year.
Formerly Miss Mona Puckridge, of Lake Wangary, the late lady married Mr. Frederick Joseph McEvoy in 1909 [1908]. She lived practically all her married life on the farm at Cungena. Mrs. McEvoy was a quiet and gentle woman, much loved by the members of her family, and highly respected by all who knew her. Her kindly nature won her many friends who, along with her family, will deeply mourn her passing.
After a short service in St. Canute's church on Monday morning, the cortege left for the Streaky Bay Cemetery at 9 o'clock. Rev. Father J. Dunne officiated. The large crowd of people at the graveside-from local and far districts-was a splendid last tribute. There were many beautiful flowers. Pallbearers were sons Norman, Frederick, Martin and Laurence, and sons-in-law Pat Holland and Norm Smart.
Mrs. McEvoy leaves her husband and ten children-four sons and six daughters-Dorothy (Mrs. A. Patterson), Ella (Mrs. J. Little), Mary (Mrs. N. Smart), Nora (Mrs. C. Holland), Joan (Mrs. J. Patterson) and Carmel (Mrs. W. Gill)
All members of the family attended the funeral.

Their fifth child and first son, Norman McEvoy, born 13-7-1918 at Cungena died 2-3-1980 Adelaide married Diana Kermode of Adelaide and they had 3 children, including me. Below is the direct line between those children and the most distant Puckridge that Mollie Puckridge researched in her books.

William Puckridge ----- Mary Hall
|
Thomas Puckridge ----- Martha Mansfield
|
John Puckridge ----- Elizabeth Gillett
|
John St George Puckridge ----- Sarah Woodward
|
Horace Puckridge ----- Hannah Ellen Tapley
|
Annie Edith Puckridge ----- Frederick McEvoy
|
Norman McEvoy ----- Diana Kermode

Top

THE WOMEN

MARY HALL PUCKRIDGE 1714-1770

Mary Hall was christened on 19 Jan 1714 at St Andrews, Holborn, Camden. Her parents were Thomas and Elizabeth Hall. She married William Puckridge born 1-4-1716 at St Benet, Paul's Wharf, London on 1 Jan 1736. In 1790 she was living at 24 Hosier Lane, London with her husband who was described as a carver. Mary bore 12 children while at Hosier Lane, all baptised at the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, London:
  • Thomas Puckridge 3-10-1736 to 1740
  • Polina Puckridge 13-1-1737 to 18-1-1762
  • Jane Puckridge 1739 to 1739
  • twins Mary and Elizabeth Puckridge 1740 to 1744
  • Thomas Puckridge 1740 to 1789
  • Moses Puckridge 1743 to 1785
  • William Puckridge 1746
  • Charles Puckridge 1748
  • John Puckridge 1750 to 1817
  • Mary Puckridge 1752
  • George Puckridge 1754 to 1756
Thomas, Jane, Mary and Elizabeth and George died as infants and were buried at St Sepulchre.

Her Uncle, was George Graham, a watchmaker and inventor. When he died he left her twenty guineas and a good portrait of himself, commissioned by the worshipful company of Clockmakers. He died 16 Nov 1751 and is buried 'in the middle aisle, in his master Mr. Tompion's grave' at Westminster Abbey in recognition of his achievements in watch and instrument making. Mary had a close relationship with the childless Grahams, and was probably a Quaker herself, and it is likely that George Graham's influence led to 3 of her children, Thomas, Moses and Charles, being clock and watch makers. William was a 'tarner and gilder.' Mary married Joshua Penn but we don't know what happened to Polina and Elizabeth.

The family moved after 1756 to Islington where Mary died on 24th October, 1770, aged 56 years. She is buried at St Sepulchre's Church, London.

MARTHA MANSFIELD PUCKRIDGE 1737-1826

Martha Mansfield born 1 May, 1739, baptised 24 may 1739 at St Sepulchre, London, was the daughter of John and Elizabeth Mansfield of Hosier Lane and a resident of St Sepulchre Parish. She married Thomas Puckridge on 12 May, 1763, possibly at St James, Clerkenwell, aged 23 to his 21 years. She had 10 children:
  • William Puckridge 1764
  • John Puckridge 1765
  • Polina Puckridge 1767
  • Elizabeth Puckridge 1768
  • Mary Puckridge 1771
  • Thomas Puckridge 1774
  • Charles Puckridge 1775
  • Thomas Puckridge 1777
  • Sarah Puckridge 1779,
  • Martha Sophia Puckridge 1781.
All the children were baptised at St Sepulchre apart from William. Polina and Thomas died young and are buried in the bay vault at St Sepulchre.

Thomas died aged 48 years and was buried at St Sepulchre on 27th April, 1789, leaving 4 young children to be raised by his wife. The four daughters married-Elizabeth a Smith, Mary a Marks, Sarah a France and Martha a Curtis.

Martha Mansfield Puckridge died at Snowhill aged 89 and was buried at St Sepulchre on 18-12-1826.

ELIZABETH PATIENCE GILLETT PUCKRIDGE 1788-1830

Elizabeth was born about 1788 and became the second partner of John Puckridge with whom she had 3 sons:
  • John St George 23-4-1819
  • Septimus Mansfield 6-7-1822
  • Percival Graham 27-2-1827.
There was apparently animosity between the early family and the new one. Elizabeth died soon after the birth of Percival Graham, when she was 42 in August, 1830.

Top

SUSANNAH HUGGETT WOODWARD nee HILLER 1791-1872

John Frederick Hiller (right) born 1742 married Esther Morgan born abt 1742, in 1762. They had 7 sons and 5 daughters. He was light keeper of the North Foreland Light at Broadstairs in Kent (at right) and a tenant farmer near the lighthouse. 10 of the children were born at the lighthouse, the births recorded in the parish registers of St Peter's Church (below right) in Thanet, Kent. The children were:
  • Jane Hiller 1764-1826
  • John Bateman Hiller b. 1766
  • Thomas Hiller 1768-1849
  • Richard Hiller 1770-1815
  • Mary Elizabeth Hiller b. 1772
  • Millicent Catherine Hiller 1774-1815
  • Esther Hiller 1776-1820
  • Frederick John Hiller b. 1778
  • George Francis Hiller b. 1780
  • Caleb Hiller b. 1782
  • Joshua Hiller 1782-1825
  • Elizabeth Hiller b. 1784
(from Mr Ballyn and the Bunns of St. Albans by Elizabeth Grace Roberts)

Thomas Hiller, (at left) the 3rd child of John and Esther Hiller, mariner, was born 11-4-1768 at North Foreland Lighthouses, Isle of Thanet, Kent and married Sarah Huggett born 22-2-1770 of neighbouring Stone Farm, Thanet Kent. They were apparently childhood sweethearts. At the end of his life, Thomas Hiller retired to an Almshouse in London at No 5 Trinity Green where he died in 1859. The house is shown in the wonderful blog, Spitalfields Life.

Thomas and Sarah Hiller had 7 children:

  • Susannah Huggett Hiller born 11-7-1791
  • Thomas Hiller 1792-1821 died in Jamaica
  • Sarah Huggett Hiller 24-10-1795 - 17-5-1884
  • Millicent Catherine Hiller 1799 - 1873
  • Paulin Hugget Hiller 1799 - 1836
  • Frederick John Hiller 1801 - 1873
  • Esther Jane Hiller 27-9-1804 - 9-12-1885.
Three of the Hiller daughters married 3 Bunn brothers-Sarah married Henry Bunn and emigrated to Melbourne with her daughter in 1857; Millicent married Joseph Bunn who was licensee of "The City of London Hotel" and later "The Ship Inn" in Dover; Esther Jane married Francis Bunn and emigrated to Adelaide where they had hotels, the Golden Fleece Inn at the corner of Currie and Rosina Streets, Adelaide, and the Exchange Hotel in Hindley Street.

Susannah Huggett Hiller, the first child of Thomas and Sarah Hiller, aged 20, married James Woodward of St Stephens, Herts, at All Saints, Chedburgh Suffolk on 30th September, 1811, at a ceremony officiated by her Uncle, the Reverend R.W. Carter. She was described as 'daughter of Thomas Hiller of Ramsgate, mariner.' Susannah bore 11 children of whom Sarah Frances Woodward was fourth. The children were

  • Mary Woodward b. 1812
  • Thomas Wooward b. 1814
  • Barbara Barron Woodward 1815 - 1879
  • Sarah Frances Woodward 1815 - 1895
  • James Woodward b. 1819
  • Millicent Catherine Woodward 1821 - 1895
  • John Frederick Woodward 1824 - 1874
  • Maria Woodward b. 1826
  • Emily Jane Woodward 1828 - 1891
  • Eleanor Frances Woodward b. 1832
  • Frances Elizabeth Wqoodward b. 1833.
All the children were baptised at St Stephens, St Albans.

James Woodward was a miller at Moor Mill, St Albans (above-now a restaurant). The mill was set in large grounds where the children had plenty of room to play. Between 1824 and 1827, James and Sarah Woodward and their seven children moved to London and James established a brewery. James Woodward died 7 May, 1844 aged 55 years.

Susannah Woodward was listed in the 1841 census as aged 45, living with Joseph Bunn, Hotel Keeper and Katharine Bunn. In the 1851 census she is again listed as a widow, 58, living with daughter Barbara 33 and son in law George Johnston France aged 34, furniture dealer. In 1861 census she was living aged 69 with her daughter, Barbara, 43 and son-in-law George J. France 44, at 36 Piccadilly. Listed on 1871 census as living aged 79 with her daughter, Barbara, 53 and son-in-law George J. France 54, Fine Arts and Antique Dealer, at No 1, Lower Seymour Street, Marylebone. Susannah Woodward died aged 81 at Marylebone, London.

SARAH FRANCES WOODWARD PUCKRIDGE 1815-1895

Sarah Frances Woodward was the 4th of 11 children, born 1815 to Susannah and James Wooward, St Albans, Hertfordshire. She was baptised September 10th, 1815, her father being recorded as a meal man or miller.

James Woodward and all his siblings had been baptised at St Albans Abbey, where his parents, James Woodward and Mary Simpson, were also married. James Woodward and family had Moor Mill so Sarah would have grown up there, but around 1828 they left for London. Sarah married John St George Puckridge at St John's, Islington on 9th August, 1840, and at that time she belonged to the Parish of Holloway. Her father was already dead. Witnesses at the wedding were her sister, Barbara Baron Woodward and John's cousin, George Johnson France, whom Barbara later married.

Sarah bore 8 children in England, but one baby, Blanche, died in bad circumstances. Sarah and John St George Puckridge and their children, Catherine, Alfred, Anthony, Harry, Florence and Russell left Falmouth on the Lady Nugent on October 13th, 1853, arriving at Port Adelaide on January 21st, 1854. They were among the 34 cabin passengers on the ship.

On arrival, the family lived at Blakiston (now part of Littlehampton about 36 km SE of Adelaide) as sharefarmers. In 1854, Sarah's third son, Harry, died but another son, Horace Puckridge, was born in 1855. From 1856-1861 the family lived at Walkerville at the Buckingham Arms Hotel (still going strong, picture at right taken from Walkerville Sketchbook, drawings by Bill Walls, 1977) where John was licensee and sons Walter and Septimus were born.

By 1862 the family was established at the Lake Homestead, Lake Wangary. It was built of sheoak and clay (pug and pine), and whitewashed with verandahs on 3 sides. Sarah helped create a lovely garden. She was always in delicate health but was careful of the speech, deportment and manners of her children and grandchildren. At various times she was nurse and teacher and social worker to all on and around the property. Sarah died aged 79 at Seaview Cottage, Port Lincoln on 11-5-1895, so John St George Puckridge lost his "Dolly" for 3 years before his own death.

THE TAPLEYS

Information on the Tapleys comes from Tapley Five Brothers and their Families Who Emigrated to the Free Province of South Australia Between 1838 and 1869 by Peter Adamson, published 2001, and from an article Thomas Tapley: The Founder of Tapley's Hill by Stuart Tapley in 'The South Australian Genealogist' of February, 1997, together with a number of articles obtained via TROVE and various web resources.

About the earliest Tapley family information we have is of John Tapley, born 1728 who married Sarah Baker and had a son, Richard, who was a tailor. Richard Tapley was born in 1764 in Folkestone, Kent and died in 1824. He married Elizabeth Stevenson of Folkestone, born abt. 1765. She is identified as a householder in the census of 1851 living at 83 Dover Street, Folkestone aged 80 with a daughter Margaret Tapley, schoolmistress aged 58. Another daughter, Hannah, married Jacob Squire and they lived at Elham so it is likely that Elizabeth and Margaret moved and lived with Hannah as in the 1861 census, Margaret is living with Hannah and Jacob Squire while an Elizabeth Tapley died at Elham, Kent in 1854. Elizabeth and Richard had 14 children, 8 sons and 6 daughters, of whom at least 4 died in infancy. The children were all born in Folkestone, Kent. They were:

  • Thomas Tapley 1789
  • Margaret Ann Tapley 1791
  • Sarah Tapley 1795
  • Elizabeth Tapley 1795
  • Richard Tapley 1797
  • Hannah Tapley 1799
  • Richard Tapley 1801
  • James Tapley 1804
  • Jane Tapley 1806
  • Edward Tapley 1807
  • John Tapley 1809
  • William Stephenson Tapley 1813
  • Daniel Tapley 1815
They lived in Dover Street near the harbour in Folkestone.

Top

THOMAS TAPLEY AND MARY MORFORD

Thomas Tapley, the first child of Richard Tapley and Elizabeth nee Stevenson of Folkestone, Kent, was born 22-6-1789 in Folkestone, Kent, and married Mary Morford born 1790, also of Folkestone on 26 February, 1811 in the Folkestone Parish Church of St Mary and St Eanswythe. (At right: Church and baptismal font in which children christened) Thomas was a baker and the young couple began living in Dover where their first child, Richard Edward, was born in 1811. Moving back to Folkestone they had Katherine 1813, Elizabeth Stevenson 1815 died 1816, Thomas 1816 and James Morford 1819.

Then, in 1820, the family moved to Vlissingen (also know as Flushing) in the Netherlands, possibly because they ran into trouble over smuggling. No explanation seems to have survived although in an article written in 1918, their son, John Tapley, explains that his father had "large interests in Holland" but eventually feared conscription for his sons and chose to sell up. Certainly the most fascinating issue is why the whole family lived in Holland for 17 years after generations in and around Folkestone. On the other hand, 4 of Thomas's brothers were sailors and it was a very mobile family, and Holland was quite close, by sea. Three children were born in Vlissingen, Elizabeth 1821, Susanna 1824 and Margaret Ann 1825. In 1829 Thomas and Mary and their 6 children moved to Rotterdam where 3 more children were born, John 1829, Mary Jane 1833 and Hannah 1836. Thomas was recorded as a baker and they lived at 115 Wynstraat. Sometime in 1837 they moved back to England as 1837 records show Thomas Tapley of London still owned property in Folkestone but didn't vote. In 1838 he and his sons purchased land in South Australia.

In summary, the children of Thomas Tapley and Mary Morford were:
  • Richard Edward Tapley 1811 Dover, England
  • Katherine (Kitty) Tapley 1813 Folkestone, England
  • Elizabeth Stevenson Tapley 1815 d. 1816 Folkestone
  • Thomas Tapley 1816 Folkestone, England
  • James Morford Tapley 1819 Folkestone, England
  • Elizabeth Tapley 1821 Vlissingen, Netherlands
  • Susanna Tapley 1824 Vlissingen, Netherlands
  • Margaret Ann Tapley 1825 Vlissingen, Netherlands
  • John Tapley 1829 Rotterdam, Netherlands
  • Mary Jane Tapley 1833 Rotterdam, Netherlands
  • Hannah Tapley 1836 Rotterdam, Netherlands

On November 16th, 1838, Mary and Thomas Tapley and 9 of their children, Kitty, Thomas, James Morford, Elizabeth, Susannah, Mary Ann, John, Mary Jane and Hannah arrived in Port Adelaide aboard the Rajasthan. Thomas Tapley applied for land on 'the hill' and moved to what is now called Tapley's Hill in January 1839. They established Rosenberg Farm and grew crops like wheat, barley and potatoes diversifying into hospitality by building an inn called the Victoria Hotel, which is still standing. Drivers of wool carts would stop at the Victoria overnight and then drive down all the way to ships at Port Adelaide creating a track known as Tapley's Hill Road. The first half of the road has gone but it still exists from Anzac Highway, Glenelg, to where it runs into the Old Port Road.

Mary and Thomas were joined by their eldest son, Richard Edward Tapley who also emigrated to SA with his wife, Arabella nee McDonald and one son, John Edward. Richard was a seaman and had lived in Mauritius and, interestingly, was later divorced from Arabella and married Emma Elizabeth Whitehorn in 1875. In 1846 he founded the "first Mutual Insurance Company to start in the colonies, if not the first in the world on these principles" (from the Aldine History of South Australia which has a biography on Richard together with other well known South Australians of 1890.) The article says that Richard arrived in SA in 1844 and yet "TAPLEY Richard Edward, wife Arabella, John Ed arrived 1838-11-16 on Rajasthan from London" according to the Family History SA databases.

The following reference to Richard and Arabella comes from page 17 of A Narrative of a Visit to the Mauritius and South Africa by James Backhouse, 1844 from Google books. It is full of religious exhortations to black and white alike but very detailed in its descriptions:

The school-house at Mapou is situated on the top of a mass of cracked, vesicular basalt, at a place called Roc en Roc. Here we received a kind welcome from the master and mistress, Richard and Arabella Tapley. The former was at one time a seafaring man ; the mother of the latter was picked up when an infant, by a soldier in India, who found her near the drowned remains of her parents, and who ultimately married her.

The school at Mapou was attended at this time, by about forty boys, and as many girls, twelve of whom were apprentices. About twenty of this class, several of whom were very young, attended only on First-days, at noon, from some adjacent sugar-plantations. The prejudices created by slavery among the free people of colour against persons of their own class in bondage, were so strong, that it had been found best to have the First-day-school for the former, in the evening. About one hundred persons of various ages chiefly free Creoles, from the adjacent villages, assembled about nine o'clock, to whom George Clark read the Scriptures, and expounded certain parts ; he subsequently addressed them in earnest exhortation ; he also acted as interpreter to W. Walker and myself.

Thomas Tapley died on June 14, 1856 at his home in South Terrace, Adelaide. He is buried in West Terrace Cemetery Section: Road 1 South, Path Number: 23 Site Number: 27 together with 8 other family members who are mentioned on the gravestone. They are Mary (Morford) Tapley, Thomas's wife who died 11 years later; Richard Edward Tapley, their eldest son; Kitty Tapley, their eldest daughter; son Thomas Tapley junior, Jane Tapley his wife and Mary Ann, their eldest daughter; Hannah (Tapley) Sauerbrier their daughter and her husband John Sauerbier who, rather inappropriately, has the largest inscription.

It is interesting to note that there seems to have been no newspaper obituary for Thomas Tapley, despite him being a colonist of long standing. He is remembered by Tapley's Hill Road, but a photograph I found in the National Archives dated 1965 states The 121 year old Hotel Victoria at Tapleys Hill, SA, is now run by Welsh migrants Cyril and Vera Rich. It is the oldest hotel in the state, and by repute was a favourite place for smugglers from nearby Halletts Cove to dispose of whiskey. It sounds as though Thomas Tapley continued his smuggling ways, even in SA, hence no obituary.

Top

THE OTHER BROTHERS

RICHARD TAPLEY

Richard Tapley, 1801-1874, 6th child of Richard Tapley and Elizabeth Stevenson of Folkestone, Kent, married his first cousin, Margaret Tapley born 1807, Marske, Yorkshire-died 1852, Adelaide, in Folkestone on February 17, 1827. Richard Mordaunt Tapley born 1829 was their only child. From 1832 to 1839 Richard was commander of the Alfred, a single decked barque built in India in 1818, which travelled mainly between London and Madras. When Captain Flint, the ship's owner took over for a year, he changed the route to London-Sydney. Richard Tapley was in command on this route in 1839 but then retired from long distance trips. The family emigrated to Australia in 1840 and lived at Port Adelaide. There he was a merchant and shipping agent and also owned land on various islands. He was on the Marine Board, a JP and with Trinity House which regulated marine affairs in SA, including inspecting lighthouses. Margaret Tapley died December, 1852 and was buried at Alberton Cemetery. Their son, Richard Mordaunt, was also a gentleman shipping agent who married Mary Ann Mills on 24 Feb, 1859. They did not have children and Richard Mordaunt died in 1865. He was buried in Alberton Cemetery like his mother. Richard died in 1874, leaving his house and land to his brother, Daniel.

Following is a wonderful letter entitled OLD PORT ADELAIDE by A.T. Saunders about Port Adelaide and the Tapleys from The Register 12-11-1919:

'Old Colonist' mixes up two Capts. Tapley. Capt Daniel Tapley, the one he mentions, was not the owner of the land opposite to the Port Admiral Hotel which, by the way, was originally the Railway Hotel when built bv Robert Sanders in 1849 or l850 Capt. Richard Tapley was the land owner. Originally there was a little warehouse on the land, in which Capt. Richard Tapley's office was. His head- clerk was Mr. Joshua Evans, father of Mr. A. C. Evans, of Woodville. Mr and Mrs. Evans with their only son, Mr. A. C. Evans, arrived here in the Blackball liner Condor, Capt. Leighton in 1850 or 1851. The Rev. John Gardner, of Chalmers Church, came in the same ship.

Capt. Richard Tapley as I remember him, was a stout gentleman, with long white hair, who lived in a house facing the Port road, Alberton. He was agent for Harris, Scarfe & Co, until they established their own Port Adelaide branch with Mr. W. H. Frewin, father of Canon Frewin, as their manager. Prior to that Mr W. L. Dickson, long since dead, handled Harris, Scarfe's Port business as Capt. Tapley's clerk. There was a weighbridge owned by Capt. Tapley in Commercial road, close to his land, and my old friend John Evans, no relative of Mr. A. C. Evans, was the boy in charge. When the corporation ordered the removal of the weighbridge, it was said that two widows were living on its proceeds, and it was asked that it should not be moved; but the corporation wisely insisted on its removal. Capt. Simpson also had a weighbridge in Commercial road, near the Queen's Wharf.

Capt. Daniel Tapley, I think, had been in the 'East Indies; he was a member of the Marine Board for years. There were several Tapleys among the old colonists who were, I think, related to the two captains I have mentioned; then R. E. Tapley, secretary of the S.A. Insurance Company, now wound up, of which, by the way, Capt. Richard Tapley, and, afterwards Mr. Joshua Evans, were Port Adelaide agents. Then there was Mr. Tapley, of Tapley's Hill, one of the early, innkeepers. Another Tapley was in the lighthouse service, and was drowned, I think, and I used to hear of "Billy Looley" Tapley, whom I did not know.

Of the younger men Mr. E. C. Tapley. of Joseph Stilling & Co., Port Adelaide, owned the ketches Elsie and Lotus, with Capt. Fred Debney (who, when a boy, saw his mother drowned in a Glenelg boat accident, he being saved). Another Mr. Tapley settled on Thistle Island in Spencer's Gulf. (I think the rest of the news article is confused because it has been wrongly laid out with several lines misplaced.)

Top

DANIEL TAPLEY

Daniel Tapley 1815-1881, youngest and 14th child of Richard Tapley and Elizabeth Stevenson, visited Adelaide together with his wife Margaret and brother Captain John Tapley arriving on 1840-03-10 on Orissa from Plymouth via Capetown, but Daniel Tapley and his wife, Mary Jane Kinsman born 1825 actually lived in Burma where their 5 children, 3 surviving, were born. Two of the children were born aboard the steamer Tenasserim. All children were born at Moulmein, Burma. Daniel Tapley participated in the Anglo Burmese wars but retired about 1862 to England with his family. Mary Jane died in May, 1866 and 2 sons emigrated to SA. In 1869, Daniel emigrated and his daughter Mary married Stephen Hall, and followed. Daniel and Mary and Stephen Hall lived with Richard Tapley at Caversham near Pt Adelaide. When Richard Tapley died he left his home and business to Daniel Tapley. Daniel Tapley was a member of the Marine Board and Rear Commodore of the Yacht Club at the time of his death on 27-2-1881 and was interred at the Alberton Cemetery.

South Australian Register, 4 March, 1881.
OBITUARY. Death of Captain Tapley. Our obituary notices contain the record of the death of Captain Daniel Tapley, who for some years has taken an active interest in all matters connected with the maritime affairs of the colony. In early life the deceased gentleman traded between India and China in command of the barque ''Tenasserim." For many years he was master attendant at Moulmein in Burmah, filled various other appointments in the service of the Honourable East India Company, and continued in the service when it was transferred to the British Government Captain Tapley took an active part in the second Burmese war, being in charge of a flotilla transporting troops to Martaban and Rangoon, and having also been engaged in storming parties, for which services he was honourably mentioned to the Government. After over thirty years' residence In Moulmein and Calcutta and becoming invalided he retired to England on a well-earned pension. Finding, however, the winters at home too severe for his constitution, he decided to come out to South Australia, and he reached the colony about ten years ago. Shortly afterwards he was appointed a Warden of the Marine Board, and notwithstanding his impaired health was a regular attendant at the meetings, and most assiduous in all the duties appertaining to the office. He was on board the Musgrave during the last annual inspection, a few weeks ago, and in spite of weakness took part in all the examinations and work of the Board. Captain Tapley died at his residence, Caversham, Woodville, on Saturday, at the age of sixty-six. He leaves two sons and a daughter, all resident in South Australia.

The 3 children were Daniel Thomas, Edward Charles and Mary Elizabeth. One of Edward Charles' sons, Harold Livingstone Tapley, emigrated to NZ and became mayor of Dunedin, while his daughter, Maud Ethel, went to NZ on a visit and also married over there. Maud's grandson is Bryan Tichborne, who, with his wife, well known water colour artist, Nancy Tichborne, published beautiful calendars.

JOHN TAPLEY

John Tapley 1809-1869 was the 12th child of Richard Tapley and Elizabeth Stevenson Tapley of Folkestone, Kent, and arrived in Australia with his wife, Elizabeth nee Moffett Tapley and his brother Captain Daniel Tapley aboard the Orissa on 10 March, 1840. John had obtained free passage as an immigrant for himself.

Captain John Tapley was in command of small coastal vessels around SA including the Albatross,which he owned until 1848 when it was wrecked. He was also master of the Challenger, Victoria and Elizabeth during the 1840s.

John Tapley became a light house keeper but was reprimanded for leaving his post several times. It must have been unimaginably boring to one who was so used to travel. John and Elizabeth had one son, John Cowel Tapley who died in his second year and is buried at Alberton Cemetery. John Tapley died suddenly at Cape Willoughby Lighthouse, Kangaroo Island on January 23, 1869 and is buried at Alberton Cemetery.

WILLIAM STEVENSON TAPLEY

William was the thirteenth child of Richard Tapley and Elizabeth Stevenson of Folkestone, Kent. He probably emigrated to South Australia via Sydney as a seaman and also worked as a warehouseman, possibly employed by his brother Richard Tapley of Port Adelaide. He was in command of various coastal ships in South Australia before becoming a lighthouse keeper. In 1858 he became head keeper at Cape Borda, Kangaroo Island and in 1862 he married Henrietta Cranston of Norwood, born 1843. Blanche Tapley, their only child was born in 1864. Sadly, William died aged 53 in a boating accident near Troubridge Lighthouse where he was second keeper. There was some confusion about who else died in the accident, but it seems to have been the first lighthouse keeper, Mr Ormond and his wife, as Richard Tapley in 1869 left an annuity to his niece Blanche and her mother while Blanche was young.

JOHN TAPLEY AND HANNAH SHARPE

John Tapley was the 9th child of Thomas Tapley and Mary Morford, born in Rotterdam, arriving in South Australia on board the Rajasthan on 16-11-1838 with his parents and 8 other siblings. Their oldest brother, Richard Edward Tapley was by that time 27 years of age and probably living in Mauritius although a Richard Edward Tapley and his wife Arabella and son John Edward are also listed separately as arriving aboard the Rajasthan too-perhaps for a visit at this stage.

John Tapley lived at Tapley's Hill with his family. According to his newspaper story, he was educated at the Reverend Gill's School at Coromandel Valley and later took charge of Myponga station under the supervision of his father. In 1863 he moved to Wartaka station which is near Port Augusta. The property, when it was sold for £20,000 in 1920, after John Tapley's death, was described as: 197 square miles and includes a homestead of five rooms, kitchen, store, and schoolroom, two cellars, two cemented tanks, a woolshed of 15 stands, two cart sheds, men's hut and kitchens; and the country is subdivided into nine paddocks, and is watered by two wells and 13 dams.

John Tapley seems to have been a conscientious farmer with frequent newspaper references to his sales of sheep and horses in the markets, but he also must have kept a low profile with less participation in newsworthy events than his uncles. One article mentions in 1910 By the way, old John Tapley still keeps going, and, although getting on for 90, can read without glasses. Another article describes an accidental shooting when John Tapley drove the victim to hospital.

John and Hannah had 9 children, 6 daughters and 3 sons. I am hopeful of finding more information about the family in regional newspapers and would welcome any contributions-may have to wait until Trove digitises the lot, if I live that long. The Chronicle or Transcontinental may be useful.

Hannah Tapley died at Myponga on 27-7-1907 pre-deceasing John who died on 7-11-1919. A short newspaper obituary states that she had been an invalid for 30 years. They are both buried at the Myponga Uniting Church, 47 Main South Rd, Myponga, South Australia, south of Adelaide. With them in the grave are Thomas Tapley, their eldest son and fifth child who died 14-6-1939, and Margaret Lavinia Tapley, their 5th daughter and sixth child.

Hannah (Sharpe) Tapley; Hannah centre in 1858; John Tapley at a younger age in Myponga. Photos courtesy Dean Tapley.

Top

HANNAH SHARPE FAMILY

Many thanks to
Susan Denford for finding a wonderful piece of research on the Sharpe Family of Tasmania. It is a paper by Leone Scrivener presented at a meeting of the Tasmanian Historical Research Association held on 10 December 2002. Leone has generously said that she doesn't mind if I quote directly from the paper. I have tried to verify some facts where possible.

Leone looked into the history of the house in which she lived at 1 Canice Avenue, Sandy Bay, Hobart, and in so doing solved our problems re the father of Hannah and Mary Sharpe who was deceased when his daughters married John Tapley and his brother James Morford Tapley in a double wedding ceremony on 28th September, 1854 at Christ Church, O'Halloran Hill. I apologise for bits lifted straight from the text-it seems pointless to change what is already succinct and well expressed.

James Sharpe was quite a common name and in the early 19th Century, several were living in Australia, some of them convicts. Our James Sharpe seemed to appear out of nowhere and bought the farm at Sandy Bay in 1824, which made me suspicious, but in newspaper ads he mentioned his respectability, so it seemed unlikely he was a convict, especially in view of the following case reported in 'The Colonial Times' of Feb 11, 1834 John Acton stood charged with stealing a handkerchief, the property of Mr. James Sharp, of Sandy Bay. Verdict-Guilty. Sentence-Imprisonment and hard labor for six months. .

It turns out James Sharp was a farmer of 57 (as respectable as you can be with a wife 32 years younger) when he arrived in Tasmania with his wife Hannah, 25, and their 2 children, Jane 2 years and George Henry, a baby, aboard the Thalia on April 27, 1823. He had a reference from Mr Chester of London in support of his application for 500 acres of land, which was granted. "In his official application in Hobart Town, James stated that he had 1,300 in cash and about 200 in property. He was given a grant of 1,000 acres in the county of Forbes." James soon asked to take up land at Sandy Bay instead, and permission was given. A three roomed cottage was built on the property and the third child, Thomas, was born in Feb, 1825. Sharp was an experienced farmer and purchased more land as it became available.

From the Hobart Town Courier, front page, 22 November 1833, under the column heading, SURVEY OFFICE, November 15, 1833:
NOTICE is hereby given, that the undermentioned claims for grants will be forwarded for approval or investigation to the Commissioners appointed to examine into applications for titles to land, on the 5th day of December next before which day any caveat, which must be in writing, will be received in this office........
James Sharp
Originally granted to Bernard Walford, Area 90 acres - Queenboro' parish. Bounded on the north by the river Derwent and by a grant to John Cropper, west by a rivulet; south by a grant to Edward Fisher, and east by a line to the southeast angle of John Cropper's grant, and by that grant to the river Derwent
James Sharp.
Originally granted to John Cropper. Area 22 acres - Queenboro' parish. Bounded on the north by the river Derwent east by a grant to Edward Fisher, and on the south and west sides by a grant to Bernard Walford.

In 1833 the Sharps had 5 school age children: Jane 12, George 10, Thomas 8, David 6, and Joel 5, and four younger children: Mary 3, Martha 18 months and 3 month old twins, Hannah and James Sharp. A school house was set up in one of the houses on Sharp property, suitable for 30 children. Other families to attend were Fishers, Garths and Flexmores. David and Robert Sharp later married Maria and Isabella Flexmore.

James Sharp and his wife Hannah had apparently been married in Scotland but fearing this would not be recognised by local authorities should James die, they were remarried on 31 August, 1836 at St David's Anglican Church, Hobart.

James Sharp died in 1840. He was buried in St David's cemetery where his son Joel was also buried aged 7 years in 1835. In his book Inscriptions in Stone Richard Lord recorded: "James Sharp who departed this life on 4 May 1840, after a protracted illness borne with Christian fortitude, leaving a widow and eight children to lament their irreparable loss and highly respected by a large circle of friends (73 years)." This sounds more like a funeral notice than a grave stone, but the cemetery fell into terrible disrepair and many inscriptions were lost. In a listing made in the 1920s, no inscription is recorded for James.

On his death James Sharp left 'goods, Chattels and effects to the value of Twelve hundred pounds.' In his will he left his two farms in trust for his eight surviving children, instructing his executors, Thomas Yardley Lowes and Thomas Fisher, to sell such portions of the ninety-one acre farm when and as they should see fit. The will lists 'farming stock, Horses, Cows, Sheep and Implements of agriculture.' The small twenty-two acre farm, Cropper's farm, was to be held in trust for his youngest son, Robert, until he turned twenty-one. His wife Hannah was to receive 'the rents and profits thereof for and during her natural life.' To Hannah he also left 200, and 'all his household furniture, plate, linen and china.'(How generous, considering it was also her household furniture and linen, I suppose!)

The Sharp children named in the will were Jane 20, George Henry 17, Thomas 15, David 13, Mary 10, Hannah and James 7, and Robert aged 4 years. Hannah, forty-one years old at the time of her husband's death, was three months pregnant.

"Eighteen months after James's death, on 13 December 1841, she married James Baldwin, a seaman, and it seems likely that Hannah and James lived at the farm for the next decade. Baldwin died in 1858. In May 1862, The Hobart Town Gazette gives Hannah Baldwin as the occupier of a house in Russell Crescent, Sandy Bay, owned by her youngest son, Robert. She died the following year aged sixty-five, though her age was incorrectly recorded by the undertaker's daughter as fifty-seven."

Top

HANNAH ELLEN TAPLEY PUCKRIDGE 1863-1941

Hannah Ellen Tapley was born at Myponga, South Australia on 29-3-1863, the daughter of John Tapley and Hannah Sharpe. She was one of 9 children, 6 females and 3 males. They were:
  • Jane Elizabeth Tapley 1855-1894
  • Lucy Jane Tapley 1857-1932
  • Florence Arabella Tapley 1858-1930
  • Hannah Ellen Tapley 29-3-1863 - 4-2-1941
  • Thomas Tapley 1864-1939
  • Margaret Lavinia Tapley 1867-1958
  • Mary Frances Tapley 1869-1946
  • John James Tapley 1875-1961
  • George Wartaka Tapley 1880 died at 3 months.
Hannah moved with her parents to Wartaka Station. She married Horace Puckridge at Woodward Park, Lake Wangary, the home of Horace's sister, Catherine, on March 4th, 1884. They lived first in a stone cottage partly built by Horace near the orignal home of the Puckridges. Ruins of the cottage may still be seen. They then moved to Wartaka Station for a year or so before the birth of Annie Edith. Hannah Ellen bore 8 children, 6 girls and 2 boys:
  • Ella Florence Puckridge 1885-1971
  • Harry John Puckridge 1886-1953
  • Reginald Maurice Puckridge 1888-1953
  • Annie Edith Puckridge 13-3-1954
  • Gladys Leonie Puckridge 1893-1958
  • Ivy Doris Puckridge 1895-1925
  • Ruth Winifred Puckridge 1897-1950
  • Thelma Marcia 1902-1988.
Hannah lived at Lake Wangary with Horace for most of her married life. They moved to Coulta in retirement. Hannah is said to have been warm and hospitable. During their last year their health was poor. Horace died one year before Hannah on 6-8-1940. Hannah died aged 77 on 4-2-1941 and is buried in New Coulta Cemetery

Page uploaded May, 2012. Work in progress.
Please email me re changes.